24 January 2011

York




Click on this link to view the entire York album.

York... No, not New York, the ORIGINAL York!  York is less than two hours by train from Manchester, to the northeast.  The first thing in York I had to see was the York Minster (first picture).  Wow, was it beautiful.  It is one of the largest cathedrals in northern Europe, and there it is amazing how detailed every part of it is.  I spent a while just walking around it, taking pictures, and just enjoying its sheer beauty.  Nearby was a statue of Constantine, which was also very cool to see and be able to take a picture with.

The next picture is a picture of The Shambles, which is a tiny path in which there are a few shops.  As you can see in the picture, the buildings are leaning towards each other and almost meet at the top!  The whole area and surrounding streets were filling with cobblestone roads, many small shops, and lots of walkers.  York is a  tremendous walking city, and plus you are able to thoroughly enjoy the York culture while walking.  While in York, I had a lamb sandwich (not my favorite, but okay) and also grabbed a local beer from the pub The Last Drop Inn.  They had one of the best beers I have ever tried, fitting since it also had the coolest name...Constantine.  It was a local beer brewed in York, and it was delicious.

Lastly, I saw Clifford's Tower, which is the castle-looking building in the third picture.  Albeit small, it was very cool as I have never seen a castle before, especially one in England!  The tower was on a steep hill, even with the stairs.  I couldn't imagine what it was like for people trying to attack the tower coming up the hill while getting shot at.  I would suppose they did not have much success in those endeavors, but I may be wrong.  Anyways, York is great city to visit and walking through the city really gave me a chance to embrace and experience more of the British culture.

Cheers!

2 comments: