20 January 2011

Arrival/First Day

I have arrived! After an hour and a half flight we landed in Atlanta where there was snow (snow!) on the ground, and then had a 3 hour overlay before the Manchester flight.  During the Manchester flight, I got a tiny pillow and a thin blanket to sleep, in which I was able to catch at most 5 hours of sleep on the flight.  Combine that with the 5 hour time difference, it goes without saying that I was very tired today.  That didn’t stop me from having an eventful day today, either.
            I went on a tour of the University of Manchester, and it was wonderful seeing the campus and the different buildings and architecture.  The talked to the tour guide for a few seconds before he asked me was where I was from, in which I responded, “the States”.  He responded, “I should have known from your accent”.  Here I was thinking listen to his accent, and he says I have an accent!  Definitely one of the weirdest moments of my life, but that was the moment where it hit me that I wasn’t in America anymore.  The other big thing that reminded me I’m not in America anymore are the roads.  My goodness are they confusing!  Every time I look at a car I think that no one is driving it because the steering wheel is on the other side!  Also I have to pay a lot more attention to crossing the road, because I have to look right instead of left.  I am still confused with the roads, so I just make sure I look both ways.  Anyways, there is more to talk about but I will cover that later.  Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Evan Hendershot20 January, 2011 05:20

    Please don't get hit by a car Gleebs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike! I love you and miss you bro keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, I love the part about the "accents" thought. When I lived there, I went through the exact same thing :)

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete