11 February 2011

Cultural Differences Part II

You alright?

That is a very common expression in Manchester, basically a way of saying "Hi how are you".  There are many other words that differ from America and England.  I know most of these words are very common, but I thought I would make a list of the most common words that are used that differ from the States: 
Key: England = American

Chips = Fries               Football = Soccer
Crisps = Chips             Cheers = Thank You/Goodbye
Jumper = Sweater        Fit = Good Looking
Lift = Elevator              Petrol = Gasoline
Bin = Trash Can           Pavement = Sidewalk
Trousers = Pants          Queue = Line
Post = Mail                  Postal Code = Zip Code
Pull = Make Out          Shopping Trolley = Shopping Cart


I guess you pick up on some things when you hang out with English kids.  For me, I am glad I am hanging out with and spending more time with English students than with other Study Abroad students.  I like to hang out with both English and Study Abroad students, but I am getting a better cultural experience than the other study abroad students since they hang out with each other all of the time, while I am immersing myself in the culture as much as I can.  I have noticed the other Americans that I hang out with do not even try to adapt to the English culture.  Instead of saying chips they will still say fries, as well as saying thank you instead of cheers.  While there is nothing wrong about being proud to be an American, it is also important to realize (realise) that we are in a foreign country and should do things their way, as I would like foreigners in America to do things our way.  

I also like to ask the English people what their stereotypes of Americans are, which gives me a new perspective to look at.  I know I have stereotypes of other countries and places, but I have never heard a stereotype about the United States from someone who has not lived in the U.S.  The most common stereotype by far was that all American are fat.  Other stereotypes I have heard is that everyone in America has guns, have really big smiles, and are loud.  It is also entertaining to hear Brits try their hand at an American accent, which doesn't sound nearly as good when they do it.

Other cultural differences include: No tipping at bars (very rarely at restaurants, hotels, cabs), Dates are dd/mm/yyyy as opposed to mm/dd/yyyy (Bouncer took over 20 seconds staring at my I.D. before he asked where my date of birth was because he couldn't find/understand it), the letter Z is pronounced "Zed", the first floor in America is known as the Ground floor in England, so in England you have to climb a flight of stairs to get to the "first floor", and so on.

Most Awkward Moment:  My American friend and I (along with other Americans) were at a bar having a drink or two, and we noticed a girl with American spandex pants on, one leg was blue with white stars, the other with red and white stripes.  I pointed to my American friend and told him I liked her pants (for some strange reason stars and stripes stand out more here) in which he turned around, saw them, and told the girl "We like your pants" which is a very harmless compliment.  The girl glared at us and turned the other way to laugh with her friends about what we said.  The English person that was with us then told us that "pants" actually means "underwear".  Oops. Won't make that mistake again!

No comments:

Post a Comment